Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gladys and Ron's Chicken Waffles, Atlanta, GA

Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken and Waffles
7301 Stonecrest Concourse
Suite 123
Lithonia, GA 30038
Phone: 770-482-6766
Fax: 770-482-1250
http://www.gladysandron.net/index.html

Hours of Operation

Monday – Thursday
11:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Friday & Saturday
11:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Sunday
9:00 AM - 9:oo PM

The first thing everyone in Milwaukee, Wisconsin asked me
when I returned from my brief four day sojourn to the city
of Atlanta and its near environs was "Did you go to Gladys
and Ron's Chicken and Waffles?" Indeed I did. As I was
staying with friends in Lithonia, GA, I went to the restaurant
located at the Stonecrest Mall.

Now if you are going to go to Gladys and Ron's Chicken and
Waffles for what may be your first and only time what choice
do you have but to order the chicken and waffles? So order
chicken and waffles I did. I had intended to order the Mid-
night Special (Four southern fried jumbo chicken wings and
one
Original waffle) but when I discovered there was a special
featuring the two southern fried jumbo chicken wings and one
Original waffle I decided to order that, the catfish basket
(Catfish tenders deep fried and served with your choice of
cocktail or tartar sauces) and a bowl of grits.

The chicken wings and the catfish tenders were well-cooked
but in each instance the seasoning could have been taken up a
notch. The waffle had a heavy, gummy consistency that was
not unpleasant, especially slattered in butter and maple syrup,
but I prefer a lighter, crispier waffle. Still, pulling the meat off
the deep-fried wings was fun and the grits were to die for. You
cannot get a decent bowl of grits in the whole state of Wisconsin
but, from my brief survey, it was near impossible to get a bad
one in Georgia.

The Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken and Waffles menu
is broken up into the following sections: Opening Acts, Headliners,
Waffles, Backstage, Rising Stars, Grammy Winners, Solo Acts,
Side Shows and Encores.

http://www.gladysandron.net/menu_online.html

It was my intent to get back to try the Shrimp & Grits (Shrimp
fried to a golden brown, served with grits and cinnamon raisin
toast with Georgia Peach Butter) but there was so much to eat
and so little time!

Two more things about Gladys Knight and Ron Winan's
Chicken and Waffles: 1) they do not allow any substitutions
and (2) make sure you remove your hat.

So good you'll slap your mama!
It made my mouth happy!
Aiight!
Better than dirt.



Service: Friendly and courteous
Comfortable for black people?: Yes
Recommend to your black and white friends: Yes
Recommend to just your black friends: N/A

Recommend to just your white friends: N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment