Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ria's Bluebird, Atlanta, GA


Ria's Bluebird
421 Memorial Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30312
(404) 521-3737
http://riasbluebird.com/

Ria's Bluebird is a little side-of-the-road cafe you could easily
drive past and miss - and that would be a damn shame. Settled
across the street from historic Oakland Cemetery in a neighbor-
hood undergoing full blown gentrification, Ria's is a culinary
experience not to be missed.

I chose Ria's as my last meal before flying out of Atlanta and I
am glad I did. I arrived after breakfast and just before lunch
and the small parking lot and the smaller restaurant were
packed. It took several passes around the block before a parking
space opened up. Seating inside was at a premium, too, but I
found a seat at the bar.

Ria's has a hip, retro-kitschy ambiance with colorful day glow
knick-knacks and old fashioned sugar dispensers. Sitting at
the bar I noticed plastic bins of whole coffee beans under the
counter - vesuvio, organic decaf mexican and bainbridge,
chocolate, decaf expresso - and teas, peppermint, irish, break-
fast, chai and green. The cup of joe I had was phenomenal.

Knowing I wouldn't be able to get a decent bowl of grits until
I returned south at some later date, I ordered fish and grits
from Ria's whimsical menu. The huge bowl of cheddar grits
came with butter and strips of blackened tilapia on top and,
let me tell you, it was wonderful. The combination of flavors
from the stone ground cheddar grits to the excellently seasoned
tilapia to the crispy baquettes that I slattered with homemade
peach preserves to the sips of bold, robust coffee - well, it was
one fine last meal.

The young, hipster staff was friendly and attentive. My host
and server graciously offered me a cup of their wonderful coffee
to go and I gratefully accepted.

I understand Ria's buttermilk pancakes are the "best in the
world" and I can't wait to try their Huevos, Bluebird Burrito or
their Bionic Breakfast (2 eggs with bacon, ham, sausage with
choice of sweet potato cake, creamy grits or skillet potatoes.
Served with english muffin or biscuit). But, I suspect that if I
lived in Atlanta I might start every day with fish and grits.

On the Eating While Black scale:

So good you'll slap yo' mama!
It made my mouth happy!
Aiight!
Better than dirt.


Service: Friendly and courteous
Comfortable for black people?: Yes
Recommend to your black and white friends: Yes
Recommend to just your black friends: N/A
Recommend to just your white friends: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment